Have you ever asked yourself “what is a cocktail? What does this word mean?” The actual answer is the word “cocktail” was first defined in 1806 by The Balance and Columbian Repository of Hudson, New York as “a stimulating liquor composed of any kind of sugar, water and bitters, vulgarly called a bittered sling.”
The first time the word “cocktail” is recorded as being used in the U.S. was on April 28, 1803 in a publication called The Farmers’ Cabinet and in the UK there is a reference to the “cock-tail” even earlier in The Morning Post and Gazetteer in London, England on March 20, 1798.
We decided to share with you how we make our cocktails at Kanika Hotels. We went to Alexander the Great Hotel in Paphos and asked our barmen to share with you our secrets. Our barmen are well known for their passion in making refreshing and awesome cocktails. From hundreds of cocktails we picked five cocktails that we absolutely love:
- Hugo is a huge hit in Europe and in North America this year. This cocktail is a real hit for people who love wine and people who are still on the fence about it. To make this cocktail we use:
- Elderflower Syrup
- Mint Leaf
- Lots of Ice
- Top with Prosecco
There you have it, enjoy a refreshing Hugo Cocktail with a Mediterranean Sea breeze.
- Mai Tai cocktail is claimed by Victor J. Bergenron. Vic’s story of its invention is that he created it one afternoon for some friends who were visiting from Tahiti. One of his friends, Carrie Guild, tasted it and shouted: “Maita I roa ae!” (literally “very good”, figuratively “Out of this world! The best!” – hence the name.
Here’s how we make Mai Tai here at Kanika;
- Bacardi White
- Dark Rum
- Apricot Brandy
- Almond Syrup
- Lime juice
Dark rum with Apricot brandy makes the taste unique. Enjoy a Mai Tai while you enjoy your view.
- Pimm’s No 1 cocktail is a favourite British Lemonade. Pimm, a farmer’s son from Kent, became the owner of an oyster bar in the City of London. He offered the tonic (a gin-based drink containing a secret mixture of herbs and liqueurs) as an aid to digestion, serving it in a small tankard known as a “No.1 Cup”, hence its subsequent name.
Here is how we make our special cocktail:
Why on earth would you add a cucumber to a drink? Well, you will be surprised that cucumber goes very well with Pimms, for some weird reason it tastes delicious! While you let this idea soak in let’s see try a cocktail that is full of love.
- Sparkling love cocktail says it all. If you are in love or want to be in love this is the cocktail to order! It’s a very light drink that is suitable for a lovely night out with your loved one.
The cocktail is made from the following:
- Sparkling Wine (Prosecco)
- Strawberry Puree
- Cranberry Juice
Here you have it, a light and sparkling cocktail. Strawberry puree makes the cocktail more elegant to drink. Let’s share with you our last but definitely not least cocktail.
- Red Is Hot is a Cypriot local cocktail. The reason why it’s hot is because the cocktail contains Zivania. It’s a Cypriot pomace brandy produced from a mixture of grape pomace and local dry wines made from Xynisteri and Mavro grapes.
The cocktail consists of the following:
- Strawberry Puree
- Forest Fruit – Berries
- Ginger Ale
This is the Red Is Hot cocktail, for those of you that want something much stronger than the Hugo, this is the perfect cocktail for you.
So there you have it, here at Kanika Hotels & Resorts we make our cocktails in a unique way for you to enjoy them. Next time you are in one of our hotels; whether it be Alexander The Great in Paphos or any other resort, try one of our cocktails and let us know what you think.
Today, the world “cocktail” is used to describe the collective group of mixed alcoholic drinks that we see on bar menus around the world. For us “cocktail” means that our guests enjoy and have the best experience of their lifetime in one of our hotel or resorts.